7 Tips for a Successful Holiday Shopping Trip
Holiday shopping can be a daunting task. How can you possibly pick out the perfect gift for mom? How can you avoid the hordes of people all rushing to do the same? How can you make it through December without breaking the bank? We ask ourselves similar questions each year as the air gets crisper and holiday cheer begins to swirl through the office.
Make this season’s shopping trip successful with these seven tips:
- Set a budget (and stick to it!) – Before you begin to peruse endless deals, grab a notebook (or the notes section in your phone) and set a budget. Your budget should include:
• The name of each person you’re buying a gift for
• Wrapping paper and bows
• Travel expenses
• Grocery expenses (if you’re hosting)
Determine the total amount of money you have to spend this holiday season, then divvy it up between each category in your budget. When you purchase something, subtract that amount from your total holiday budget – this shows you exactly how much you have left to spend.
- Manage your money with the SOLE app – Stick to your budget by knowing how much money is in your account at all times. The SOLE mobile app lets your view your account balance and transaction history, and in case your card is lost or stolen during the holiday season, instantly suspend your card (you can also unsuspend it if you find it on the counter under your pile of receipts). Additionally, turn on account alerts like value load* to know the minute your direct deposit hits.
- Shop online – Dodge lines (and human interaction) by shopping from the comfort of your couch! With your SOLE Paycard, shopping online is easier than ever. Use your card number, expiration date, CVV (the three-digits on the back of your card), and the zip code associated with your card to get your daughter the Shopkins™ Super Mall Playset she’s been begging for.
- Take advantage of free shipping – Save a bit of money by checking out at stores that offer free shipping. Verizon, AT&T, Dell and Zappos offer free shipping – no strings attached! Target offers free shipping if you have a REDcard, Amazon does too, if you’re a Prime member and Kohl’s offers free shipping with a $75 purchase.
- Use deal and coupon sites – The days of spreading the week’s newspaper out over the kitchen table and clipping coupons with the fam are over. Save money without wasting paper on these deal and coupon sites: The Krazy Coupon Lady, Coupons, Retail Me Not, Groupon, and Living Social.
- Start a Secret Santa tradition – Don’t know what Secret Santa is? Well buckle up, because the world of gift giving as you know it is about it change. Secret Santa is a gift exchange tradition where a group of friends, family members, etc., draw a name from the group to become that person’s gift giver (aka Secret Santa). After each person opens their gift, they have to guess which member of the group their Secret Santa was! The tradition is great and all, but the best part is that you’ll save money by only having to buy one gift.
- Craft DIY gifts – Homemade gifts can be more meaningful and help keep money where it belongs—on your SOLE Paycard! For DIY gift ideas, we head straight to Pinterest and search: DIY gifts, homemade gifts, and cheap gift ideas.
What are some of your best holiday shopping tips? Comment below and let us know!
*Standard data and messaging rates from your cellular provider may apply. Value load alert is $0.25 per alert
The materials on this blog are provided for informational purposes only and do not reflect the opinions of Central Bank of Kansas City, Member FDIC. Several of these blog posts may contain links to content on third party websites which are provided for your convenience, please note that linked sites may have a privacy and security policy different from our own, and we cannot attest to the accuracy of information. Central Bank of Kansas City does not guarantee nor expressly endorse any particular product, service or third-party content.